M-122 SN 1017108: Still Fighting ...for a Cause

SN 1017108 reminds me a lot of a street photographer that I admire. Like this photographer, this keyboard does not want to give up. So, with everything I have, I decided to keep it alive, functional and be something that will still inspire and contribute however/wherever it can.


These said, and since this photographer I admire is in need help to cope up with his daily obstacles, I will be selling this keyboard for a cause.

For a minimum amount of Php 1,500.00, I will ship this keyboard to the (one) person that will donate to this street photographer.

My terms:

  • Contact me before you make the donation

  • I will instruct you to send donation through this link

  • Send me proof of donation with your complete name and address

  • I will ship the item to you free of charge within the Philippines through a reliable courier

  • You will inform me once the keyboard is received :mrgreen:

  • If your donation amount exceeds Php 2,000.00, I will fill in those empty stems with available (non-matching) caps on hand

What you will be getting?:

  • IBM Model M 122-Key Keyboard Part No. 1390238 SN 1017108 Date 08SEP86. Bolt modded and restored to the best that I could

  • Internally installed Pro Micro Controller to convert this keyboard to USB and make it fully programmable with Soarer's Converter.

  • Internally installed USB cable with an approximate length of 1.5Me

Keyboard condition: As mentioned above and as shown in the photos, this keyboard has seen rough days;  scratches, stains and missing/donated keycaps. There is a dead trace on its membrane causing three keys not to function. There are two options to fix this, first is purchase a replacement membrane; second, repair it with with copper tape. I do find that it is no longer practical for me to take those options and decided to leave this board as it is. Besides, the major 60% is enough for me. I composed this whole post with this keyboard.

Photos:

Excuse my workstation


web-dsc_2284

[caption id="attachment_754" align="alignnone" width="2048"]copy-DSCN2988.jpg Its original decapitated cable soldered to a USB Controller[/caption]

More photos and background of the keyboard teardown / restoration:

IBM Model M 122 SN 1017108 Restoration Part 1: Teardown

M122 SN 1017108 does not want to be restored

The installed USB converter is programmed as:

[caption id="attachment_776" align="alignnone" width="1403"]M122-Ugin.jpg Red colored key is FN1 while the black ones are the dead keys[/caption]

What I want in return?  I will be asking the person that will get this keyboard to name it Ugin. I do think it's nice name for a keyboard that has surpassed decades and is capable to last decades more.

Disclaimer: The beneficiary is not aware of me selling this keyboard for a cause not I am related in any way with him. I could not guarantee that the commitments mentioned in his donation page will be granted.

Update: Sold. Sales proceeds donated.

Comments