IBM Model M PN 1391401 02JAN90

ID No. 4086227

So.... someone sent me this board for repair stating that there are keys not registering and LEDs won't lit. I mentioned that this was basically due to loose rivets and I offered to repair it. Being able to repair similar issues before, I was pretty sure that a bolt modification will fix it.



The board as it arrived and after disassembly:

Gallery

Key test:
Contrary to my assumption, dead keys were not caused by loose rivets. I checked the membrane and found that there are four traces broken. Time to order copper tapes...

While waiting for my repair kit, I prepared the panel board for USB conversion:



So the copper tape arrives... I tried to repair the broken traces and reassembled with a nuts and bolts. Unfortunately, the traces on the membrane were too brittle that more traces broke after assembly. So I have to disassemble and re-assemble again...

After I made sure the traces were fixed, I found out that RAlt, F3, " (quote) and Pause buttons won't press properly when sandwiched in its plates. RAlt stayed pressed while the other buttons are hard to press.

I was able to fix RAlt by placing a thick piece of paper between membranes but could not fix the others. I tried to loosen and tighten the bolts surrounding the 3 buttons but no good. I can only assume that the area of these buttons are warped and won't align perfectly. I don't know any fix for this so I am leaving it at is.

All in all, I disassembled then re-assembled the board 3 times and fixed a total of 12 traces plus 4 from the LED strip.

ISO converted since we have no spare button to replace ANSI Enter.

Though with issues, I composed this post using the subject keyboard. Works pretty good since the buttons with issues are not commonly used.

For IBM Model M repair and modifications, please contact me :)

Comments