My first attempt to 3D print a keyboard case

Though still not happy, I decided to post this board for I am tired of sanding for dozens of hours. So... Base kit is an AMJ40 with carbon fiber sandwich case. I used the top plate's edge padding to mount it the printed case, discarded the mid and bottom plate.

My design has zero degree incline. I thought I'll like it but it seemed too off that felt like it had a negative incline especially with an OEM profile keycaps.



Though simpler, too simple actually, this design was inspired by IBM Model M.

Back side is bare and has no cover for this version. I think it is necessary to add one to also add support for the plate. I might add the angle on this part to raise the board a bit.
Yep. That's the PCB that broke and is now fully functional. Found a way to bring it back to life by re-soldering the USB out points.

Some notes for the next version:

Decrease height on top row. Keycaps sit too deep and feels so uneven. Raising this part may add at least 5^ angle.

Still could not think of way to mount the USB port... super glue?

Screw holes are hard to align... It should have been included in design but got lazy to measure and used drill and bit instead.

Printing details:
Printed with a .4mm nozzle; layer height of .4mm; 4 layer walls; 20% infill.
Glued the two parts with super glue. Used lots of sanding paper and covered it with leftover spray paint.


Thingiverse link of the case.


Final thoughts... I need to learn how to prime and paint. Measure twice.

Comments