Update on 3D Printed 2.5 + 3.5 HDD to 5.25 Bay Adapters

#day10quarantine

Over 2 years ago, i designed this HDD caddy and printed in cheap black PLA material. Installed on the same time it was printed. Fast forward, and due to the current situation wherein we are under quarantine because of COVID-19, i decided to clean my CPU and check how my brackets are holding.

I was not expecting that it will do good but not this bad...





Version two, designed, printed and installed months after the first, also did not do good...



Everything is warped and some part became brittle. I think these can be avoided if printed with a more stronger material and with better CPU circulation.


Moving forward, I installed my latest version. This one is printed silver PETG and i assume is better and stronger by design. Let's see how long this one will last...


#notetoself v2.2 install date March 26, 2020 in ThinkCenter

Here's thingiverse link for 3d stl file. Enjoy!

Comments

  1. Hey, enjoy your upcoming freedom! Not quarantined myself, but no job so nowhere to go anyway. This caught my eye on Thingiverse as I'm building a new-2-u computer myself and needed to print several parts for it, including an HDD caddy and a sled for an SSD. I think you are correct, you need to improve your case ventilation, that plastic (PLA?) has been way too hot. Ideally, I recommend a filtered intake fan, large as possible, in the lower front of a case, then an exhaust the same size in the upper rear. Of course this is not always possible but it's the best-case scenario. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for dropping by. yep, planning of printing a vent with fans on the front. i think hot air is trapped on top where these things go. i am using an old pc case, sentimental reasons, so vent through the drive bay covers is what i see fit for now.

      Delete
  2. You might want to create a thermal bridge b/w HDD and metal cage so your HDD to get cooled at least via one screw.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How's your PETG one holding up? I like your design but the durability is a little concerning - though I assume a lot of the issues are from having PLA in a hot environment with lots of vibration.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment