Case designs for P18

My previous post introduces my P18 macro pad. I mentioned there that I am also trying to design a case for it. It is the drop-in type that covers most of the internals. Below is the render of the first version.

Drop-in case with (almost) all components installed
The 2-piece casing
Bottom casing
Controller cover. This design is for those that will use 2 rotary encoders

This design has an optional cover for the controller. Design for other PCB options are still to be attended. I'll just update this post once those are ready.

These are all intended to be printed with a clear filament to allow LED's lights to pass through. I am still trying to figure out how those people polish their prints though...

This case is reclined by 2-degrees and has a room for small battery. I recessed circle at the center is intended for the LED ring that I saw online. I might try to use one instead of a strip.

Update 20200417:
Test print so check if I got the measurement correct.
Another angle on the test print.


Anyhow, my second case design is just a stand-like, i think this is classified as one of those sandwich type. Very straight forward. No frills. No thrills.

P18 stand with all components installed
The stand with support for encoders and controller

This design is 5mm in total height making the assembled kit quite low. There is currently no allocation for a battery for this case so Bluefruit is not ideal for this one. I'll make alterations should I see a requirement.

Update 20200417:
Sample build with printed stand
3D printed stand. First version (thinner).

STL files will be shared in my thingiverse account in a while. I decided to upload these on grabcad instead for now particular reason. Please follow this link for for design files: https://grabcad.com/library/cases-for-custom-18-key-macropad-1

Comments

  1. Can't wait till this is officially out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi rich! glad you liked it. i currently have no intention to have these further reproduced. if you are interested, i still have prototype PCB's and several components. i can send you a kit but i will be asking for the material and shipping cost. thanks and keep safe!

      Delete
    2. Definitely interested in both this and the P20. I'll send you an email. pabile@g***l.com is your email address, right?

      Delete
    3. that is correct. send me your location with zip code so i can also get an estimate from my courier. cheers!

      Delete
  2. Mabye im dumb asking that but why is there a round cut out in the case, what is its purpose? Im currently trying to make this case as a school project and I want to make it out of alu and I dont know what the design purpose is, does it do anything important or can i just ignore it and leave it out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. leave it out. i just wanted to put something there during design stage - it never materialized.

      Delete

Post a Comment