How not to remove lighter socket on a 4th Gen Civic

I was having problems with my DIY car phone charger wherein a fuse keeps on frying. It used to work well and suddenly stopped. I asked on reddit and was advised to troubleshoot and check if there is anything wrong with my lighter plug. Good suggestion! I thought.

I googled and saw a video showing one but from different generation Civic. Wow! That seemed easy. I tried prying mine and result was not the same :(



Here's how to property remove a lighter socket/plug from a 4th Generation Civic?

First, disconnect the lighter socket from the main line. There's a button like that you should press to be able to pull off male from female.

Now move back to the back side of the main socket. Remove ground as shown below:


From the view above, the gold colored cover i called back cover is threaded. Rote counterclockwise until it is loose.

Now pry open the connector shown below. Loose the lock clips as pointed.



Remove the connectors and that's it!

I continued to test my socket and noticed nothing of concern. Placed everything back in tried a different USB charger. To my surprise, it worked. The one that was having issue is that of my old buck converter.

So... how about that broken piece?


Since the broken piece is an eye sore, i attempted to design a replacement on fusion360 and was printing a few minutes after.






Couple of hours after the first design... I now have a replica :)


3D design files can be downloaded from my thingiverse account

Comments