IBM Model M 1391401 09-26-90

Days ago, I received an inquiry regarding an M that have spacebar issues. I asked him to send it to me and I received it yesterday.

My first impression was that this is clean M and comes with a nice PS/2 to USB converter. This converter is quite nice, I was able to use the keyboard without restarting the PC.




Back to the keyboard... it's a 1391401 with a detachable SDL to PS/2 Cable and:

Part No : 1391401
I.D. No : 5638695
Date : 09-26-90

Testing it show that all keys works well except for the spacebar. I started to inspect and remove the spacebar and the feet was misplaced. Welp... I felt relief for it was an easy fix compared to a broken trace. So let's start digging... or chisel 87 rivets...

Top case removed, I was surprised to see SCREWS!!! 

So, I messaged the owner and asked where he got the keyboard (he initially told me that he did not try to open the casing). He replied that he got this from an old lady with another M. I think I got him worried the way I asked. Sorry, Owner. That was not my intention. ...I was just really surprised there is an old lady in the Philippines selling screw modified Model Ms. Imagine that.

Moving back to the problem, screws removed, it showed that super glue were applied on some areas. It scared me to remove mylar sheets thinking that the glue might make the sheets hard and easily break traces once bent. Washing the top plate won't be an option with this unit so...and since the issue is just the spacebar key, I made a small opening at the bottom and carefully re-seat its feet. Mission accomplished. 

Back plate. Screws. Re-connect PCB. 101 keycaps. Test. All keys register. YAY! Test. Space bar too rattle... I removed the spacebar, applied some silicon grease on the stabilizer. Test some more. Rattling minimized but I could not hear the spring click. Removed the key once again and do the soft-pull trick on the spring, then spring fell off LOLS

Okay.... I think I am getting drunk already and getting carried away with my experience with this keyboard. To cut the story short, everything seems okay after the second dismantling and replacement of feet. ..just wanted to test this keyboard by making a post out of it.

For personal reference....














































Comments