IBM Model M122 PN 1390238 SN 55-0017177 1987-06-01 UK

This board really is one of the unfortunate one. I was not able to document when it arrived. Now that it is complete, I was not able to document its donor. Well, I lost the photos that my wife took during the teardown.

I got the beneficiary keyboard over three years ago. Top casing have this dent that I assume came from a cable and was pressed for a very long time when it was stored. Its top plate were heavily damaged by some chemical. Some sort of crystal formed - looks like glitters but a bit smaller. Prints on keycaps are bleeding with yellow. 


Thinking that it may take time to complete this board, I posted (for sale) the keycaps and spring & boots in shopee hoping that that it may help others complete theirs. 

In spite of the above issues and some missing keycaps, its bottom plate is still shinny and golden. It looks very nice! Some broken traces on the membranes but the controller boards is A okay.




For the donor, I got it pretty dusty. Bottom cover is heavily deformed on one side. Top cover seems good. Few missing keycaps. Top plate is a bit brittle and scratchy.



I took the keycaps and top plate. Cleaned as much as I can. Assembled. And did several tests. Scratchy key press. Dismantled several times until I decided to spray WD40 PTFE Dry Lube on the bottom side of the top plate. Did help. Not the best but there were huge differences. Added Finish Line Flouro grease on stabilizer inserts too for I feel it's return is too slow. 

Now assembled and was tested for several months, I am happy that there's one less M on the dump. 











Comments